Corktown Health seeks an Accounting Specialist who will be responsible for bookkeeping and accounting activities including accounts payable, accounts receivable and financial reporting. This position is supervised by the CFO and will work with the leadership team on budgeting, grants and contracts administration, and financial management functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Three years’ experience in accounting or bookkeeping ideally in the nonprofit or health care sector. Experience with grants management and reporting is a plus.
- Associates Degree in Accounting, Business or Finance preferred.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and financial reporting.
- Proficient with accounting software, preferably QuickBooks.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to manage detailed transactions accurately.
- Strong interpersonal and communication abilities to interact effectively with all levels of staff as well as with clients, vendors and funders.
- Technology-proficient including intermediate level use of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to analyze information, apply sound judgment and make recommendations.
- Must maintain sensitive information in a confidential manner and perform job duties with integrity.
- Performs accounting functions including processing transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciliations and reports.
- Documents and maintains complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions. Ensure accounts, ledgers and reports comply with generally accepted accounting principles as well as regulatory and grant/contract requirements.
- Manages expenditures across multiple funding sources including expense allocations.
- Prepares financial reports and monitors budget performance.
- Follows internal control and safeguards.
- Prepares monthly financial status reports and invoices for grants and contracts in accordance with established deadlines.
- Prepares and maintains spreadsheets to track, reconcile and report information.
- Assists with preparing and facilitating federal, state and local filings. Participates in the organization’s annual single audit as well as program related fiscal audits.
- Supports budget development for existing programs and new proposals.
- Monitors account balances and recommends necessary cash transfers.
- Verifies accuracy of invoices, documents and records. Identifies, investigates and resolves disputes or discrepancies.
- Other duties as assigned.
All applicants are required to provide proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an FDA- or WHO-authorized vaccine prior to their start date. Any exception to this policy for medical or religious reasons must be submitted in writing.
SALARY RANGE & BENEFITS
- $44,000- $54,000 annual salary range
- Benefits include paid time off, agency recognized holidays, medical, vision, dental, disability and life insurance after 60 days.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This position is full time, predominantly during business hours Monday through Friday and may require occasional evening or weekend hours. The position is based in Detroit. Work is generally performed within the office environment and includes phone and email contact with staff, vendors and funders.
Corktown Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse workforce. Corktown Health does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability and any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Applicants who identify as LGBTQ+ and those who represent minority and/or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.