Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Medical Director is the lead clinician in charge of all aspects of medical patient care services provided by Corktown Health including ancillary services such as laboratory and pharmacy services. Working from a solutions-oriented approach, the Medical Director monitors clinical performance to ensure medical services and operations are in compliance with all applicable regulatory and licensing agencies. As a member of the Executive Management team, the Medical Director is responsible for implementing, reviewing and developing Clinical protocols, performance objectives, productivity benchmarks, compliance measures, provider workflow planning and provider scheduling. Also, the position serves as coach/mentor/trainer to staff providers, giving guidance in best practices, troubleshooting of medical services and operations issues in priority of urgency according to FQHC standards. The Medical Director will also represent the Clinic at required meetings with affiliated agencies. As a licensed MD/DO the Medical Director will also provide direct patient services in addition to their duties in administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Participates as key member of organization’s Management Team (MT) to develop and maintain a strategic plan for the controlled growth, expansion, and/or development of programs and sites for Corktown Health; solve existing and anticipated organizational problems; and formulate and/or revise policies that will enhance the achievement of the organization’s goals. Attends all MT meetings with the overriding and ongoing goal of integrating clinical and non-clinical aspects of Corktown Health’s operations and services.
2. Responsible for the direct supervision of all medical staff. Sets the direction for their areas of responsibility to align with the overall clinical goals. Responsible for directing all providers in the practice of quality care according to standards and benchmarks set by the organization, licensing boards and funding agencies.
3. Approves student affiliation agreements and student rotations; responsible for overall performance of clinical students in the health center.
4. Provides supervision of clinical scheduling, call and leave for medical staff.
5. Manages administrative responsibilities such as clinical budget/finance management, and personnel management for clinical staff. In collaboration other Corktown Health management, uses a solutions-oriented approach to solve personnel issues in a timely manner including performance failures and violation of standards of care or personnel policy. Performs due diligence in matters related to clinical practice in full compliance of the medical licensing board, HRSA Office of Regional Operations (ORO /OPR), and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
6. Responsible for establishing systems of accountability for all providers to include productivity benchmarks, performance measures and controls for clinical quality assurance. Document clinical protocols in a manner that is easily understood and can be followed by all clinical staff. Performs hands-on training of new and developing Clinical practices based on changes in regulatory or best practices.
7. Participates in the recruitment of qualified clinical staff including interviewing and recommendation for hire. Monitors and assists with the new-hire orientation process to ensure consistency in training among all clinical providers.
8. Ensures medical services and operations are in compliance with all applicable regulatory and licensing agencies. Assesses all matters of clinical compliance and provides timely recommendations for corrective action and quality improvement. Provide guidance and supervision of clinical laboratory operations to ensure compliance with CLIA and other agency requirements.
9. Directs the Quality Assurance and Improvement (QA&I) process for Corktown Health, with overall responsibility for supervision of the QA&I program, ensuring that quality and appropriateness of care are monitored and that appropriate actions based on monitoring results are taken. The Medical Director is responsible for removing barriers to achieving quality in medical care and for reporting to internal and external committees and entities, as required.
10. Establishes and/or maintains working and collaborative relationships in the health provider community, on behalf of and in accordance with formal understandings of Corktown Health. Develops relationships with hospitals and specialty providers for referrals and for provision of inpatient care, seeks out available medical resources, and secures medical access for Corktown Health patients.
11. Represents Corktown Health to consultative and advisory bodies; to collaborating agencies, community organizations and specific institutions, as requested; participates in meetings, conferences, etc., on behalf of Corktown Health and to further collaborative efforts with these organizations and institutions. Represents Corktown Health in roles as health care provider and as executive of Corktown Health.
12. Provides leadership, vision, and direction in developing new medical service delivery areas/programs for Corktown Health; directs, monitors and evaluates programs, revising and adapting as necessary and/or appropriate; assists in formulation and/or revision of medical program/clinical services policies and protocols.
13. Works closely with Chief Executive Officer to provide direction regarding all clinical issues.
14. Provides overall direction and coordination of continuing medical education, training, and support for health care personnel; chairs provider and clinical meetings.
15. Provides direct clinical medical services in the area of board certified medical specialty in accordance with the highest applicable standards of medical and professional practice and in full accordance with health center protocols and policies.
16. Demonstrates commitment to, and understanding of, Corktown Health’s Service Excellence Standards, by modeling service excellence in all internal and external relationships, addressing service excellence deficits in staff, and in performance of all duties and responsibilities of this position.
17. Provides additional assistance within and outside of clinical arena, as requested and/or as appropriate, to ensure the ongoing success of the organization.
21. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Board certification in a major primary care specialty field of practice.
2. Previous experience supervising providers and other clinical staff is essential, with demonstrated record of success.
3. Previous experience providing services and exercising leadership in a culturally diverse setting, with demonstrated success.
4. Previous experience working within a managed care environment strongly preferred, especially with experience in administrative/management capacity.
5. Maintains faculty position with Wayne State University Medical School.
1. Current, valid license to practice medicine in the State of Michigan, including DEA license and CPR, required.
2. Knowledge and understanding of advanced practice provider supervision agreements and regulations.
3. Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team, in collaborative settings.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
5. Understands and is committed to maintaining highest level of confidentiality.
6. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to staff and to build the trust and respect of patients, staff, colleagues, external contacts, and other MT members.
7. Able to motivate staff; promote team building; assume leadership role within clinical arena.
8. Excellent problem-solving skills required, including creativity, resourcefulness, timeliness, and technical knowledge related to analyzing and resolving medical/administrative problems.
9. Sensitivity to needs of culturally diverse patient and employee population.
10. Excellent emotional coping skills, adequate to confront difficult emotional situations and emotional responses of others.
11. Demonstrated ability to meet or exceed the Service Excellence Standards of Corktown Health.
12. Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends, as needed.
13. Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technology and to willingness to develop and adapt to the evolving technological requirements of modern medical health center practices required.
Corktown Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse workforce. Corktown Health does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability and any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Applicants who identify as LGBTQ+ and those who represent minority and/or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.