Summary: Corktown Health (CH) is recruiting for the position of Certified Medical Assistant (MA). CH is Michigan’s first nonprofit health center dedicated to meeting the health care needs of the LGBTQ+ community. The MA will perform administrative and clinical duties under the direction of a physician or nurse practitioner. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, interacting with other providers and data entry in various systems. Clinical duties may include preparing and maintaining exam rooms, taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by a clinician. The MA should embrace our mission to provide high quality, culturally competent medical care and be familiar with the health issues faced by persons who are LGBTQ+. The MA is expected to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team which includes behavioral health, nutrition and social work.
Required Education & Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalent required;
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assisting Program and evidence of current MA certification;
- Minimum 2 years of clinical experience preferably providing care to LGBTQ+ persons and/or people living with HIV;
- Experience using an electronic medical record systems to schedule patient visits and document patient information preferably AthenaHealth;
- Applicants should support a culture of learning and be comfortable discussing matters of sexuality, sexual orientation and gender identity in an affirming manner.
Schedule & Working Conditions: This position is full time, predominantly during business hours Monday through Friday and will require some evening and weekend hours/shifts. The position is primarily based in Detroit. Work is generally performed within the office environment and includes significant in person, phone and email contact with staff, patients/clients, funders and the general public. This position reports to the Lead MA and VP of Clinical Services.
SALARY RANGE & BENEFITS
- $16.00 to $18.50 hourly
- Benefits include paid time off, holidays, medical, vision, dental, disability and life insurance after 60 days.
Newly hired employees are required to provide proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an FDA- or WHO-authorized vaccine prior to their start date. Any exception to this policy for medical or religious reasons must be submitted in writing.
Corktown Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse workforce. Corktown Health does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability and any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Applicants who identify as LGBTQ+ and those who represent minority and/or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.